Cutting Natural Stone
Natural stone tiles are too hard and dense to just snap unlike ceramic tiles and other material, therefore it must be properly handled. Tile cutter and snips are not recommended even when you can score and snip them the cut will not be clean. In the event that there is a rough cut you should smooth the edges not only to get the desired finish but also to prevent injury. Use an electric wet tile cutter for cutting natural stone as it will provide cooling lubrication.
You should read all manufacturer’s directions and safety guidelines on everything before starting any project! Follow all safety precautions including mask and goggles to protect your face from tile particles.
Natural Stone should be marked and lined up with the guide.
Travertine and marble stones must be cut with a diamond blade. A wet blade is the recommended tool and should always be used as mentioned above.
Always make your main cut with the finish side up you should place a notch on the reverse.
Do a backside kick to prevent breaking (cut a small notch where the cut will end and then proceed with the main cut). This helps prevent a splitting, cracking and flaky breaks.
Feed slowly and let the blade do the cutting. There is less chipping with a slow feed (smoother cut)
Note if you set up the machine:
- While you’re setting up keep saw unplugged for the duration of the set up
- The blades used by the machine have a width of 7/8 and narrow 5/8 curve blades (usually counter clockwise)
- As you Install the blades keep in mind that the machines work clockwise
- Please secure collar and lug nut before using the wrench to tighten
- You may use wrench and tighten
- Remember to secure the screw in the water guards before adding water
- Your last step will be to add water and then plug it in and turn on then you’ll be ready to go.
Stone Tile Us ships everywhere and fast, check or flooring tile shipping policy.
Check our latest natural stone projects to help you visualize your project.
If you need more information about our natural stone selection, give us a call today 855-344-8716.